How to change IP address in Windows 7
IP address - a unique identifier to the Internet. This address is given to each device connected to the Internet. IP addresses are geo-referenced to the countries.
There are times when you need to change the IP address in Windows 7. For example, if you want to see content that is not available from your IP address.
Usually, ISP assigns a dynamic IP address to customers when connecting to the Internet.
In this case it is sufficient to disconnect the cable from your router (modem, computer) and after 10 minutes to connect again. External IP address should change after such action.
But the IP address will still belong to the same range of the same country where you are.
Let's look at how to change the IP address in Windows 7 to another country.
Ways to change the IP address in Windows 7
There are several ways to hide the IP address in any version of Windows.
1) using proxy servers
In this case, you need to find a free or buy access to the proxy server. Proxies are of different types (http, ftp, socks) and differ in the degree of anonymity.
- You can find free proxy
- You need to configure each program separately to work with proxy
- Need to install additional software to direct all traffic from your computer through a proxy
- Free proxies have a very slow speed. A website can be downloaded more than 1 minute
- It is necessary to carefully select the type of proxy, as some of them may collect information about you. You will change the IP address in Windows 7 but you can be watched
2) free TOR network
TOR - is a network of servers located around the world which helps to hide IP address in Windows 7 or other operating systems. When you connect to TOR your traffic always passes through three random servers while on one of the stages of the traffic is encrypted.
Pros TOR network:
- Free access
- Encryption of traffic on one of the stages which increases your anonymity
- Need to install additional software (TOR browser)
- Low speed connections so websites will be loaded much slower than without TOR
- Need to install additional software to all your traffic passes through the TOR network
3) using a VPN network
Pros VPN network:
- Allow to change the IP address in Windows 7 and other operating systems
- Fast connection setup
- No need to install additional software
- All traffic will automatically pass through the VPN network
- Encrypted traffic, increasing anonymity
Cons VPN network:
- usually services offer to buy VPN access to many servers around the world
Change IP in Windows 7 through the VPN
Chameleon service provides access to own VPN network. Servers are located in more than 20 countries.
After registration on page How to setup will be available to the list of free connections.
Setting up a VPN to hide IP address in Windows 7
You need to follow some simple steps to hide the IP address in Windows 7.
Typically, setup of connection to the VPN takes less than 1 minute.
System tray in the lower right corner, next to the clock.
Click on the icon of the computer and then select the "Open Network and Sharing Center."
In the next window, select "Set up a new connection or network."
Then, select from the list "Connect to a workplace".
In the next window please click on the "Use my Internet connection (VPN)".
Internet-address, your User name and Password look here (only for registered users).
Please enter your User name and Password. If you are using your personal computer, you can put a checkbox on the "Remember this password" to further not be entered manually.
You need perform a few tweaks before you connect to VPN network. Therefore, in the next window, click "Close".
Click on the icon of the computer in the system tray. Then click the right mouse button to VPN connection. And select "Properties."
On the tab "Options" remove the checkbox "Include Windows logon domain".
On the "Security" tab, select "Type of VPN: L2TP / IPSec". Then click on the "Advanced settings".
Put a point on the "Use preshared key for authentication" and write here IPSec key which you can see in the list of connections on page "How to setup" (link to above).
Click on the computer icon in the system tray to connect to a VPN network. Then click the left button of the mouse on the VPN connection. And then click "Connect."
Everything is ready! After successfully connecting your IP is changed.
Change the IP address in Windows 7 is very simple.
Still have questions?
We will help you to solve the problem and advise you on security and anonymity on the Internet.
With free access to the VPN, you can change the IP address, not only in Windows 7, but also in any other operating systems such as Mac OS X, Android, iOS, Windows Phone.